There’s no question that make-up is glorious. It can cheer us up, boost our confidence and transform our look. Make-up these days boasts sophisticated formulas and high-tech textures. But there’s no substitute for good skin. Getting your skincare sorted pays dividends and is the first vital step of any make-up routine, as it creates an ideal base instead of trying to apply make-up to difficult skin.
Cleanse, exfoliate, moisturise
This skincare mantra forms the basis of any skincare routine. (Plus, SPF during the day. Always SPF.) Cleansing, exfoliating and moisturising are the scaffolding on which you can then build upon, according to your particular skincare needs. The key during these steps is to nourish the skin without stripping it, protecting its vulnerability from both internal and external aggressors such as stress and pollution. You can then choose to add in treatments; serums, oils, masks, etc: whatever you feel your skin needs for whatever stage of life your skin is in.
Find your best skincare routine
Importantly, make your skincare routine one that’s easy to stick to. Let’s get back to basics:
1. Skin needs to be clean to be healthy and to allow all your good skincare ingredients to be absorbed. Begin with a gentle yet thorough CLEANSER. Willowberry Nutrient Boost Cleansing Balm nourishes, purifies and comforts while melting away dirt. Vitamins, antioxidants and essential fatty acids protect your skin’s barrier function leaving you with a bright, glowing complexion.
2. Regular EXFOLIATION is essential to slough away dead skin cells for a smooth, radiant complexion. Gentle liquid exfoliators are best and can be used daily. If you are fan of the traditional manual exfoliator scrubs, look for a gentle one and only use it occasionally alongside your liquid exfoliation regime.
3. For an antioxidant-packed skincare boost that also adds RADIANCE and provides a perfect base for make-up, Willowberry Nutrient Boost Face Oil (and Sensitive Face Oil) is a make-up artist favourite. It brings a natural glow, reducing the need for make-up glow inducers.
4. When prepping the skin for make-up, HYDRATION makes the biggest difference, even if your skin is on the oily side. Willowberry Nutrient Boost Day Cream contains the wonder-hydrator hyaluronic acid in a non-greasy cream that plumps and smooths.
5. Our gentle Willowberry Reviving Eye Cream contains active ingredients to SMOOTH THE EYE AREA, reduce puffiness and even tone. It creates the ideal base for concealer and foundation around that tricky eye area, enabling smooth, easy application and a more flawless finish.
What your skincare actually does for your make-up routine
Think about what you’re asking your make-up to provide and perhaps your skincare can help to achieve it. Make-up can be used to fake good skin and construct an entire look, but if you have worked on getting your skin as good as it can be, make-up just needs to enhance what you’ve already got: juicy, clear, glowing skin.
Taking care of your skin with a regular, nourishing routine will leave it properly hydrated, bright, radiant and smooth. Giving you not just a healthy glow but the best canvas on which to apply your make-up.
Willowberry is nutritious natural skincare for grown-ups, for your best skin.
A favourite with top make-up artists, Willowberry's luxurious award-winning products protect skin’s natural barrier function, to nourish and revive grown-up skin without telling women to be 'anti-ageing'.
As seen in Vogue, Independent, The Telegraph, This Morning and more.